Are you guys sick of our Skinnytaste plugs yet?! Honestly, we can’t even apologize because every single recipe is so frickin’ good, and this next one is no different. Lasagna soup is one of my favorite things to make during the wintertime. It’s the perfect way to warm you up, and I promise, you won’t feel guilty eating it! I normally make this on a Sunday, and save the leftovers for Monday night (one less day you have to cook during the week!). This recipe is for sure a family-pleaser meal.
Time: 50 minutes
For the soup:
- cooking spray
- 14 oz sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed and cut up into small pieces (I sometimes use Italian sausage)
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 crushed cloves garlic (or minced is fine)
- 4 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, divided
- 3 cups low-sodium, fat-free chicken broth
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 2 cups quick marinara sauce
- 2 bay leaves (I never use bay leaves, so I don’t think this is 100% necessary)
- fresh cracked black pepper
- 6 oz broken lasagna noodles, whole wheat or gluten free
- 6 tbsp part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup part skim ricotta cheese
- 3 tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh basil chiffonade (this is something I don’t normally use either)
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat, spray with oil and add the sausage. Cook until browned and break it up as it cooks (about 4-5 minutes).
2. Add the chopped onion and garlic and cook another few minutes (2-3).
3. Next, add the parsley, broth, water, marinara sauce, bay leaves (if you’re using them) and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl combine the ricotta, parmesan, 2 tbsp parsley and mix together.
5. Once your soup has cooked for 30 minutes, add the broken pasta and cook uncovered according to package directions.
6. Serve in a bowl and top with your ricotta mixture, mozzarella cheese, pepper, and fresh basil (not necessary if you don’t have it). Enjoy!
If you’re looking for another warm meal, check out our 5 ingredient pizza spaghetti pie here.