Happy 2018, friends! We thought we’d kick off the new year by sharing our resolutions with you. It’s always fun to read about what other people want to do differently this year because they can inspire you to do the same. No matter the resolution, big or small, trying to make a change to be a better person is an amazing thing. Together, let’s all make an effort to be kinder this year!
1. Be healthy. It’s no secret that everyone wants to get healthy in the new year, and while I’ve always been *pretty good* about it, I really want to step up my game this year (let’s be honest, my weekends normally consist of pizza and ice cream). I’ll be 30 in March, and I just want to feel my best! Andrew and I are doing the January Whole 30 (eek) to help jump start this healthy change, and I’m super nervous I won’t be able to do it! I’m so thankful we have each other to keep our motivation high over the next 3o days. I’ll keep ya’ll posted on my progress…maybe a blog post half way through the program?
2. Cut back on the Starbucks. You guys….this will be hard for me. I’ll admit, I’m one of those people who gets a Starbucks coffee every day during the week. It’s part of the advertising culture to drink coffee all day long, but at the same time, it’s not really a part of my budget. I could save so much cash if I brought my own coffee in the morning AND cut out coffee completely in the afternoon. We’ll see how this goes…
3. Take a Photoshop class. I used to know Photoshop very well because I originally went to school to be a artist/graphic designer. After switching to an advertising major my Sophomore year of college, I lost that skill completely. And now, I want it back! It’s something I need to learn for both my career and for blogging (maybe Laura will teach me?)! Learning a new skill is something that should be on everyone’s resolution list this year.
1. Be more present. I think you’ve all figured out by now just how busy I am. With a traveling husband, 1.5 year old, 3 business’, and blogging, I don’t have a ton of free time. Don’t get me wrong, I absolutely LOVE what I do, which is why I’m still doing it! Sometimes, however, I lose sight of the things that are most important. I never sit down. Like ever. I enjoy being busy, but I need to learn that some things can wait. Like that dish in the sink, or those toys overflowing in the corner. I want Griffin to idolize my entrepreneurial spirit, but also remember the times when I could sit with him, and just play.
2. Make date night a priority. It’s so easy to get lost in the everyday shuffle of being married, and having a family. Garin and I both agreed that this year we would try harder. No matter how tired he is from being gone all week, or however long it takes me to get ready…date night AT LEAST once a month is nonnegotiable.
3. Read again. Previous to having Griffin, (7 years to be exact) I used to read M-F for 30-45 minutes during my lunch break. In the winters, I’d sit in the lunchroom or out in the hall cuddled up with a book. And in the summers, I would walk 2.5 miles with a book in hand. Don’t ask me how I did that looking down, without tripping-ha! Nonetheless, it was part of my lifestyle, and something I looked forward to every day. Since having our beautiful boy, I’ve completely lost that. I think I’ve read 2 books in the last 1.5 years. It makes me so sad! This year, though, I’m vowing to read one book a month. Wish me luck!!
Resolutions We BOTH Agree On
1. Stay more informed on the news. We’re embarrassed to even say this…but neither of us tend to read the news a lot. Honestly, it scares Lauren to death! We also have the “me reading this won’t change the world” syndrome, so we tend to just ignore it altogether. This year though, we’re making a resolution to keep up to date on what’s going on, and stop being afraid of this crazy world we live in. Step 1: Garin forced Laura to install the CNN app on her phone. Challenge accepted!
2. Put the phone down. This might sound weird since we’re bloggers, but our phones have become an unhealthy obsession in our lives. We don’t need to check social media 24/7 to feel engaged with our friends and followers…so why do we do it?! Lauren’s new mantra is to stay more focused at work and at home by designating a few hours for no cell-phone time. Laura and Garin have been doing this for the last year, and it really does help! Make sure your phone is on silent though…no temptations!
Still in need of a new calendar for 2018? Check out our latest post here. We’d love to hear your 2018 resolutions! There’s nothing better then being held accountable. Thank goodness we have each other 🙂
Laura & Lauren